Foreign Policy Advisor to the Trump Campaign, Brief 2016 presidential campaign advisor to Ben Carson, HUD Secretary
Former intern and researcher at the conservative Hudson Institute after graduating college in 2009. Energy deals focusing on the Leviathon gas field and promoting the Israel-Greece and Italy East Med Pipeline. Promotes Israeli settlements and used “Judea and Samaria”, Israeli Right-wing terms. (As Putin Becomes One of World’s Most Powerful Players, His Surprising Jewish Connection is Revealed Breaking Israel News)
Papadopoulos was interviewed by FBI January 27, 2017, and February 16, 2017. Arrested at Dulles International Airport July 27, 2017, Pleaded Guilty for lying to the FBI 10/5/17. STATEMENT OF THE OFFENSE Sentenced to 14 days in prison 8/17/18. SENTENCING MEMORANDUM
Future wife Simona Mangiante worked for very senior members of the EU Parliament in 2009. Simona was introduced to Mifsud by another EU Parliamentary member, Gianni Pittella, in 2012, and worked for Mifsud upon his recommendation.
- March 6, 2016, Papadopoulos, living in London, learned he would be Foreign Policy Advisor for the Trump Campaign during a conversation with Campaign Supervisor Sam Clovis, who relayed that a principal Campaign focus was an improved relationship with Russia.
“When Trump named Papadopoulos to his foreign policy advisory team the fact emerged that a central element of his short career had involved active public lobbying for energy cooperation between Israel, Greece and Cyprus, after significant natural gas resources were discovered in Israel. Papadopoulos wrote Op-Ed pieces in Israeli news outlets – including one in Haaretz – arguing that the Israel should cooperate with Greece and Cyprus in its development of the Tamar and Leviathan gas fields and avoid excessive cooperation with Turkey. He was particularly forceful in an article he wrote for the rightist outlet Arutz Sheva in 2014.A proposal to build a pipeline to Turkey in order to export gas to Europe, he said “is bereft of the political realities in the region and does not take into account the potentially devastating impact this option can have on Israel’s strategic relations with EU member Cyprus, and by extension, all of Europe” and that “regional economic cooperation between Israel and Cyprus should be the guiding principle that anchors Israel economically to Europe.” The Washington Post piece on Papadopulos quoted Elizabeth Rosenberg, an energy expert at the Center for a New American Security noting that the young Trump adviser that “has argued for Israeli gas moving to Europe. If that eventually comes to pass it will compete with U.S. gas to Europe. The United States and Israel are allies, but whose team is he on?”” Haaertz October 30, 2017
- March 14, 2016, while traveling in Italy, Papadopoulos met the “Professor” Josef Mifsud.
- March 21, 2016, Papadopoulos announced as one of five foreign policy advisors at the Washington Post press conference.
- March 24, 2016, Met Female Russian National Olga Vinogradova-Polonskaya with Josef Mifsud, introduced as “Putin’s Niece” and the “Russian Ambassador in London”. Papadopoulos sent an email to 7 campaign officials with the subject line: “Meeting with Russian Leadership – Including Putin.” Clovis thought NATO allies should be consulted, ret. Navy Rear Adm. Charles Kubic was concerned of a violation of Russian Sanctions or the Logan Act (Citizens in unauthorized negotiation with foreign governments) and said “Just want to make sure that no one on the team outruns their headlights and embarrasses the campaign.” +5 recipients (Foreign Policy advisors were Walid Phares, Carter Page, Joe Schmitz, ret. Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg)
- March 31, 2016, Papadopoulos attended a Trump Campaign “national security meeting” in Washington DC, and announced he could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin. Communications with “Professor” Mifsud and Olga Vinogradova-Polonskaya followed. Walid Phares attended.
- April 2016 Papadopoulos emails to Trump Campaign foreign policy team about contacts with the Russians. Sam Clovis is emailed about the March 24, 2016 meeting.
- Sam Clovis, “encourage[d]” a Russian trip “if is feasible.”
- April 10, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Olga Vinogradova-Polonskaya “re-introducing himself and noting that “[w]e met with [“Professor” Mifsud] in London. The reason for my message is because [“Professor”] sent an email that you tried contacting me.”He added: “It would be a pleasure to meet again. If not, we should have a call and discuss some things.” He ended the email with his mobile number and a request for Female Russian National’s mobile number.” USA Today.
- April 11, 2016, she “would be very pleased to support your initiatives between our two countries.” Papadopoulos cc’d Mifsud about setting up “a potential foreign policy trip to Russia.” Mifsud replied with “This is already been agreed. I am flying to Moscow on the 18th for a Valdai meeting, plus others meetings at the Duma.” Olga responded “I have already alerted my personal links to our conversation and your request…As mentioned we are all very excited by the possibility of a good relationship with Mr. Trump. The Russian Federation would love to welcome him once his candidature would be officially announced.”
- April 16, 2016 Paul Manafort announced as new Campaign Manager, official April 20.
- April 18, 2016, Mifsud introduced the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to Papadopoulos by email. Stephen Roh panelist with Mifsud at Valdai Discussion Club with Putin . BuzzFeed “Mr. Mifsud suddenly became a popular pundit with state-run news outlets in Russia, praising the country and Mr. Putin. At his first Valdai conference in 2014, he argued against Western sanctions that punished Russia for its annexation of Crimea that year.” NY Times
- April 22, 2016, Trump announces foreign policy speech and Ivan Timofeev emailed Papadopoulos thanking for the “extensive talk” and proposing to meet in London or Moscow. Papadopoulos suggested London.
- April 25, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Stephen Miller,”Senior Policy Advisor” for the Trump Campaign “The Russian government has an open invitation by Putin for Mr. Trump to meet him when he is ready . The advantage of being in London is that these governments tend to speak a bit more openly in ‘neutral’ cities.”
- April 26, 2016, Papadopoulos met Mifsud at a London hotel. While in Moscow, Mifsud learned the Russians had obtained “Dirt” on Hillary Clinton, thousands of emails.
- April 27, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Corey Lewandowski, the “High-Ranking Campaign Official” and Manafort “to discuss Russia’s interest in hosting Mr. Trump.” “Have been receiving a lot of calls over the last month about Putin wanting to host him and the team when the time is right.” (from the 20,000+ pages remitted by the Trump Campaign). The Mayflower Hotel Meeting: Trump promises a “good deal” for Russia. Sergei Kislyak, Kushner, Manafort, Sessions, J.D. Gordon, Walid Phares, Stephen Miller, Corey Lewandowski, Hope Hicks, CNI-Center for National Interest’s Dimitri K. Simes & Jacob Heilbrunn, Reagan’s Strategic Defensive Initiative founder Bud McFarlane, and speechwriter Richard Burt. Papadopoulos emailed a “Senior Policy Advisor” Stephen Miller “Have some interesting messages coming in from Moscow about a trip when the time is right.”
- April 30, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Mifsud “It’s history making if it happens.” and thanked for his “critical help.”
- May 4, 2016, Ivan Timofeev, a senior official/program head in the organization Russian International Affairs Council emailed Papadopoulos and Mifsud: “I have just talked to my colleagues from the MFA. The[y] are open for cooperation. One of the options is to make a meeting for you at the North America Desk, if you are in Moscow.” Papadopoulos responded “[g]lad the MFA is interested.” and forwarded it to Paul Manafort, adding “What do yo think” Is this something we want to move forward with?” Timofeev “requested that the campaign and Russians write a formal letter outlining the meeting. Clovis responded to the Timofeev invitation by noting: “There are legal issues we need to mitigate, meeting with foreign officials as a private citizen.” Timofeev confirmed with the Post. “The Russian International Affairs Council was created in 2010 by a decree of then-President Dmitry Medvedev as a project of various Russian government agencies. It is led by former foreign minister Igor Ivanov. Its board includes Russia’s current foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, as well as top Russian scholars and business leaders, among them the chairman of Alfa-Bank and Sberbank, two of Russia’s largest banks.” Washington Post
- May 5, 2016, Papadopoulos phoned Sam Clovis and forwarded the May 4th Ivan Timofeev email with subject line: “Russia updates.” and forwarded it to Rick Gates with the sublet
- May 8, 2016 “Russian MFA Connection” [Ivan Timofeev] emailed Papadopoulos and “The Professor” [Mifsud] about putting Papadopoulos in touch with the “MFA head of US desk.”In subsequent weeks, “Russian MFA Connection” set up Skype calls with Papadopoulos and discussed, among other things, the fact that “Russian MFA Connection” reported “good reaction from the US desk at MFA.””USA Today
- May 13, 2016, Mifsud emailed Papadopoulos an update “We will continue to liaise through you with the Russian counterparts in terms of what is needed for a high level meeting of Mr. Trump with the Russian Federation.”
- May 14, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Manafort “Russian government has also related to me that they are interested in hosting Mr. Trump.”
- Kensington WIne Rooms, London: Papadopoulos told Australian Ambassador Alexander Downer that Moscow had Hillary’s emails.
- May 21, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed the new Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort with subject line “Request from Russia to meet Mr. Trump” and included the May 4 email, adding “Russia has been eager to meet Mr. Trump for quite sometime and have been reaching out to me to discuss.” Manafort forwarded the email to Rick Gates.
- June 1, 2016, Papadopoulos emailed Lewandowski, who referred Papadopoulos to Clovis because Clovis “is running point”. Papadooulos emailed Clovis subject line “Re: Messages from Russia”:”I have the Russian MFA asking me if Mr. Trump is interested in visiting Russia at some point. Wanted to pass this info along to you for you to decide what’s best to do with it and what message I should send (or to ignore).” Manafort forward Papadopoulos’s May 21st email to another Campaign official (Rick Gates) “Lets discuss. We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the campaign so as not to send any signal.”
- July 22, 2016: Wikileaks dump of DNC emails
- July 31, 2016 CROSSFIRE HURRICANE NY Times May 16, 2018
- August 2, 2016, Alexander Downer interviewed by the FBI NY Times May 16, 2018
- August 2016: Clovis emailed Papadopoulos “I would encourage you” and another foreign policy advisor to “make the trip, it it is feasible.”
Papadopoulos deleted his Facebook account containing evidence of the contacts February 17, 2017, following the FBI interview, and used a new cell phone starting February 23, 2017.
- Sam Clovis, Trump Campaign National Co-Chairman, former radio host in Iowa, “The Campaign Supervisor”, Victoria Toensing Attorney
- Corey Lewandowski, Campaign Chairman “High-Ranking Campaign Official”
- Stephen Miller, Trump Campaign “Senior Policy Advisor” in Court Documents
- Paul Manafort, Campaign Chairman, “Another High-Ranking Campaign Official”
- Rick Gates, Manafort’s Deputy, “Another Campaign Official”
- Walid Phares, Fox Commentator and Trump Campaign “Another Foreign Policy Advisor”, Rebecca Bynum
- “Senior Policy Advisor” from April 27, 2016, email
- Simona Mangiante, wife, worked for very senior members of the EU Parliament in 2009. Simona was introduced to Mifsud by another EU Parliamentary member, Gianni Pittella, in 2012, and worked for Mifsud upon his recommendation.
- Gianni Pittella, a member of the EU Parliament, & the guy who, in 2012, introduced [Simone] Mangiante to Joe Mifsud, was in July of 2016, campaigning for Hillary in the US.” Time
- Joseph Mifsud Maltese Professor and Olga offered “Dirt” to Papadopoulos, then introduced Timofeev, Dir. London Academy of Diplomacy 2012-15/6
- Natalia Kutepova-Jamrom, Mifsud’s intern in 2014, Russian
- Ivan Timofeev “A Russian National Connected to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs”
- Olga Polonskaya (maiden name Olga Vinogradova) “The Female Russian National”30-year-old Russian from St. Petersburg and the former manager of a wine distribution company.” NY Times November 10, 2017 The Daily Beast
- “Sergei Millian, who was a key source of information contained in a dossier about Trump’s ties to Russia, told people around him that he was in contact with Papadopoulos during the campaign.” Washington Post
- Alexander Downer, Australian Ambassador, Papadopoulos told him of Hillary’s emails over drinks in London. After the July 22, 2016, Wikileaks DNC email dump, Downer broke international normalcy and was interviewed by the FBI. This became the start of the investigation, CROSSFIRE HURRICANE NY Times May 16, 2018.
- Michael Flynn’s client, Turkish businessman Kamil Ekim Alptekin told BuzzFeed News he hired the now-defunct Flynn Intelligence Group in part to advise him on the Ratio contract, but later clarified that he also asked Flynn to research the activities of the movement led by Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Islamic scholar wanted by the Turkish government for his alleged role in a 2016 coup attempt.” BuzzFeed
- Stephan Roh, Swiss lawyer with a long history of dealings with Mifsud contacted BuzzFeed about Senate testimony
From the Sentencing Memorandum: “In several recent media appearances, the defendant’s spouse has claimed that the defendant “voluntarily reported” to the FBI the Professor’s conversation with him about the “dirt” on Clinton. See CNN, Papadopoulos’ Wife Asks Trump to Pardon Him, Says He’s ‘Loyal to the Truth,’ June 6, 2018 (claiming at approximately 4:08 that the defendant “actually volunteered – he reported to the FBI about this meeting”); Fox News, Rethinking ‘Collusion’ and the George Papadopoulos Case, June 4, 2018, (claiming at approximately 2:11 that the defendant “voluntarily reported to the FBI at the time of their interview”); Chuck Ross, Papadopoulos’ Wife: Trump Aide Was ‘Absolutely Not’ Involved in Russian Collusion, June 4, 2018, available at http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/04/mangiante-papadopoulos-collusion/ (stating that it was the “defendant who brought up” the matter).
The Professor At The Heart Of The Trump-Russia Probe Wants To Testify Before The Senate, A Lawyer Claims The Professor At The Heart Of The Trump-Russia Probe Wants To Testify Before The Senate, A Lawyer Claims BuzzFeed
“We are working towards his appearance,” a lawyer closely associated with Joseph Mifsud wrote in an email to BuzzFeed News. “We are working towards his appearance,” a lawyer closely associated with Joseph Mifsud wrote in an email to BuzzFeed News. Alberto Nardelli. BuzzFeed News Europe Editor. Reporting From London Posted on November 13, 2018
[Stephen Roh] “Mifsud and Roh’s careers intertwine at several junctions. Mifsud was a consultant at Roh’s law firm. The Swiss lawyer was advertised as a visiting fellow in a brochurepromoting the diplomacy academy where Mifsud was a director. The two men, who have known each other for more than a decade, also co-authored a number of reportsbetween 2015 and 2017. They spoke on the same panel at a Valdai Discussion Club in April 2016, an annual gathering of Russian and international political, media, and academic elites backed by the Kremlin. And both men have long had a professional relationship with Rome’s Link Campus University where Mifsud worked since the 2000s, and Roh was an investor.”BuzzFeed
George Papadopoulos told a senior Trump adviser he had an ‘interesting message’ from Russia — a day after learning of Clinton ‘dirt’ Business Insider November 13, 2017 “The former Trump campaign foreign-policy adviser George Papadopoulos told Stephen Miller, a senior policy adviser, in an email last April that he had received an “interesting message” from Russia – one day after learning that the Kremlin apparently had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton, the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.”
A London Meeting of an Unlikely Group: How a Trump Adviser Came to Learn of Clinton ‘Dirt’ A London Meeting of an Unlikely Group: How a Trump Adviser Came to Learn of Clinton ‘Dirt’ By Sharon LaFraniere, David D. Kirkpatrick, Andrew Higgins and Michael Schwirtz November 10, 2017
Interviews and records reveal new details about contacts between George Papadopoulos and self-described Kremlin intermediaries. New York Times
“[Mifsud] did not exhibit any special interest or expertise in Russia until 2014, when his academy was beginning to stumble financially. It was at that time a 24-year-old Russian intern, Natalia Kutepova-Jamrom, turned up in his office with an improbably impressive résumé.
Fluent in Russian, English, German and Chinese, Ms. Kutepova-Jamrom had worked in the Russian government as a legislative aide and would move on to a Russian state newspaper. Both Mr. Mifsud’s lawyer and Ms. Kutepova-Jamrom declined to comment. Mr. Mifsud did not respond to messages.
Ms. Kutepova-Jamrom introduced Mr. Mifsud to senior Russian officials, diplomats and scholars. Despite Mr. Mifsud’s lack of qualifications, she managed to arrange an invitation for him to join the prestigious Valdai Discussion Club, an elite gathering of Western and Russian academics that meets each year with Mr. Putin.
Mr. Mifsud’s inclusion in the group was “very, very strange,” said James Sherr, the former head of the Russian studies program at Chatham House in London and a member of Valdai for nearly a decade. It “might suggest he does have connections,” Mr. Sherr said.
Mr. Mifsud suddenly became a popular pundit with state-run news outlets in Russia, praising the country and Mr. Putin. At his first Valdai conference in 2014, he argued against Western sanctions that punished Russia for its annexation of Crimea that year.”New York Times
Papadopoulos’s fiancee was interviewed by ABC News December 8, 2017 “George is very loyal to his country,” Simona Mangiante told ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview. “He is already on the right side of history. I think he will make a big difference.”
Mueller can prove Cohen made secret trip to Prague before the election: report The Hill BY MORGAN GSTALTER – 04/13/18 “McClatchy reported that Cohen entered the country through Germany in August or early September 2016, which does not require a passport stamp.”
Postscript : Papadopoulos & Mike Flynn both had as a client Kamil Ekim Alptekin. Kamil is close to Erdogan, & paid Flynn $500K to discredit Fethullah Gulen. Kamil is also involved in the Israeli gas projects.
Both George Papadopoulos and Michael Flynn’s client, Turkish businessman Kamil Ekim Alptekin, are tied to Israeli gas dealings and attended energy conferences in Tel Aviv last year. Borzou Daragahi. BuzzFeed News November 3, 2017,
/Pete Evans on Twitter