- The Timeline
- Republican Party
- Ed Lozansky Russian-born, founded Russia House–American University & Young Republicans in Moscow, World Russia Forum; August 1, 2010: us-russia.org; propagandist, anti-Magnitsky Act
- Electronic Voting
- GOP Donors
- Religious Right
- Council for National Policy
- Judicial Crisis Network-Public Relations for the Judicial Branch
- Right Wing Media
- The Pro-Israel Lobby
- Sheldon Adelson
- David Horowitz Freedom Center
- Sheldon Adelson
- David Horowitz Freedom Center
- Rabbi Shmuley Boteach Attacked National Security Adviser Susan Rice for “genocide”
- John Bolton, US Amb to the UN 2005-6; National Security Advisor April 2018-September 13, 2019
- Council for National Policy-John Bolton
- NRA National Rifle Association-John Bolton
- Friends of Israel Initiative – Founded by John Bolton in 2010
- Jewish Institute for National Security of America JINSA- John Bolton
- Gatestone Institute aka Hudson Institute New York-Anti-Muslim think tank paid fmr.chairman Bolton over $310,000 in 2013. Founded by president Nina Rosenwald former chairman John Bolton Authors: Nonie Darwish, Alan Dershowitz, Raymond Ibrahim, Denis MacEoin, Daniel Pipes, Raheel Raza, Khaled Abu Toameh, Geert Wilders, Janusz Wójcik, Bat Ye’or, Josef Zbořil and Dexter Van Zile. Chairman Amir Taheri. . 2016 Revenue $2.3 million.
- John Bolton presided over anti-Muslim think tank. NBC News. Heidi Przybyla April 23, 2018
- Rebekah Mercer–2017 member, Mercer Family Foundation gave Gatestone $150,000 in 2014-15
RT & Sputnik-Russian state media, appearance by Gatestone authors
- Gatestone created the “No-Go Zone” disinformation about European “Muslim enclaves in European cities are also breeding grounds for Islamic radicalism.” 2016 Campaign repeated by Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruz, and Donald Trump
- Rebekah Mercer–2017 member, Mercer Family Foundation gave Gatestone $150,000 in 2014-15
- Alan Dershowitz
- 1995- Banned in 2007 The K Street Project- Political Pressure to blacklist any Democrat employers/cooperators in lobbying firms led by DeLay & Norquist
- Tom DeLay
- Grover Norquist
- American Conservative Union
- Paul Erickson
- Newt Gingrich
- Roger Stone
- Paul Manafort
- Sam Patten
- Richard Burt–Gazprom Lobbyist
- Louis Freeh, Former FBI Director
- Joe Lieberman-Ran as an Independent to become Sen. of CT
- National Rifle Association
- Scott Walker Former WI Governor–lobbying against Congressional Redistricting, Koch
- Jack Abramoff–2005 Indian casino lobbying fraud with Ralph E. Reed Jr., Grover Norquist, Michael Scanlon, implicating Tom DeLay and Bob Ney (R-OH). 2001 George W. Bush White House Transition Team: White House Contact was Abramoff’s former aide Susan Ralston, Executive Asst. to Karl Rove
- Greenberg Traurig
- Fmr. FBI Director William Sessions-Semyon Mogilevich–Ukraine–born- Negotiated a deal with the US DOJ for Mogilveich on a 45-count racketeering and money laundering indictment in Philadelphia, masterminding European shell companies, and separate probe: 2005 Ukraine Minister of Energy Yuri Boyko used Annex Holdings(Caribbean) to pay for DC lobbying, Yuri Boyko arranged energy/gas deals between Russian OAO Gazprom & Ukraine possibly tying(at the time) to Semyon Mogilevich. Sessions offered information on Islamist terrorism in exchange for negotiating charges, rejected by DOJ. Talks went through Neil C. Livingstone (Former CEO of GlobalOptions DC corporate intelligence operating in Russia & Caribbean with William Sessions on advisory board), from the 1980s Iran-Contra scandal and work with White House aide Oliver North. 2004 GlobalOptions/Livingstone was introduced to Ukrainian oligarch Dimytro Firtash‘s Cyprus-based Highrock Holdings with shares owned by Semyon Mogilevich‘s wife by Barbour Griffith: GlobalOptions/Livingstone’s lawsuit claimed Dimytro Firtash/Highrock Holdings owed for a “special operation” for a Ukrainian official in US District Ct, DC, however Livingstone said it was for passenger jet safety certification in the Central Asian market.
- Barbour Griffith & Rogers (Fmr. Gove. Haley Barbour-MI founded)-Alfa-for Russian Telecom-ALFA BANK–run by Russian minister Leonid Reiman, Putin close ally (DC Adviser was Mark D’Anastasio, WSJ reporter in 2007)- Reiman under US Money Laundering investigation; 2002-3 Friends of Ukraine (Headquartered at BG’s DC office, Chair Lanny Griffith) paid Barbour Griffith $320,000;2004 UK Shell Foruper Ltd. paid Barbour Griffith $820,000, via an attorney who structured deals under US DOJ investigation for Semyon Mogilevich ties
- Paul Manafort, Adviser to 1996 Dole Campaign, 2016 Trump Campaign Manager, Fmr. Ukraine PM Viktor Yanukovich, Rinat Akhmetov–with Bruce Jackson, Akhmetov met VP Dick Cheney
- Bruce Jackson-1996 Dole Fundraiser – Ukraine oligarch Rinat Akhmetov, Yanukovych’s benefactor/ally gave $300,000 to Mrs. Jackson’s charity in 2005
- Alston & Bird–Fmr. Sen. Maj. Ldr. Bob Dole 1996 Presidential nominee- Helped Russian aluminum oligarch Oleg Deripaska with visa to visit the US in 2005 despite US Security concerns ($300,000-2003, $260,000-2005)
- Social Media 2016 Campaign
WHAT IS FARA? UNDERSTANDING THE FOREIGN AGENTS REGISTRATION ACT Public Integrity May 31, 2018 Updated — September 24, 2018
Paul Manafort & Roger Stone– Manafort, Black, Stone and Kelly
“The Torturer’s Lobby”; MBSK established dirty lobbying throughout the 1980s.
Manafort’s guilty plea exposes hardball tactics he used to thrive in Washington swamp Washington Post By Rosalind S. Helderman Tom Hamburger Matt Zapotosky “The prosecution of Manafort by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has drawn in players from across the political spectrum, including pillars of the Washington lobbying and legal community like Mercury Public Affairs; the Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom law firm; and the now-defunct Podesta Group, helmed by Democratic lobbyist Tony Podesta.”
America First Policies-Parscale & Ayers
Nonprofit arm of America First Action, founded by Trump Campaign 2020 manager Brad Parscale and VP Pence Chief of Staff Nick Ayers. December 17, 2018, Full-page Border Wall ad in the Washington Post signed by “Sheriff” David Clarke first.
Oldest US lobbying organization which William F. Buckley Jr. helped found. Hosts the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC).
Ballard Partners- Brian Ballard
Thread from contributor Dave Levinthal “ABOUT LAST NIGHT [March 8, 2019] … PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP gave a quick impromptu speech to guests at dinner at Mar-a-Lago. SPOTTED: Ivanka Trump, HUD Secretary Ben Carson, SBA Administrator Linda McMahon, RNC Chair Ronna Romney McDaniel, RNC Co-Chair Tommy Hicks, Trump Victory Finance Chair Todd Ricketts, Roy Bailey, Brian Ballard and David Tamasi.” Politico
Ed Rogers is a a political consultant and a veteran of the White House and several national campaigns. He is the chairman of the lobbying and communications firm BGR Group, which he founded with former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour in 1991.” What is so significant about Sam Nunberg? ” Bidzina Ivanishvili, a billionaire tycoon of Georgian descent who is working closely with Irakli Alasania, the leader of Georgia’s Free Democrats Party and the president’s main political rival. Ivanishvili is currently paying the lobbying firm BGR Group $25,000 per month, according to disclosure filings, in a contract signed last November. He is also paying another $20,000 per month to Sam Patten, a Tbilisi-based consultant who is working with BGR on behalf of Ivanishvili, the disclosure records show. That money is paid through a London-based entity called BGR-Garbara, LTD, which the records state is working on behalf of Ivanishvili. BGR-Garbara, LTD, also pays Patten $10,000 per month to work on behalf of Alasania, according to disclosure filings, to “advise U.S. officials” on political developments in Georgia, and for “arranging meetings with U.S. officials on behalf of the foreign principal [Alasania].” Another contract filing shows that BGR-Garbara, LTD, also pays BGR an undisclosed sum to work on behalf of Alasania and the Free Democrats. The filing defines BGR-Garbara, LTD, as “a pan-European government affairs and public relations firm engaged by ‘Free Democrats’… for the purposes of promoting a stronger Georgian democracy through fair, open, and honest elections in 2012.” Former U.S. Ambassador to NATO Kurt Volker is also working on the contract for BGR, according to lobbying e-mails sent out by BGR to journalists and non-governmental organizations. We’re told by two sources that Alasania and Ivanishvili have also recently signed a contract with Patton Boggs, a powerful D.C. lobbying law firm, although no disclosure forms have yet been submitted. Both sources also confirmed that Ivanishvili’s representatives made a pass at the Podesta Group, offering to double their fee to switch teams, but Podesta declined. Ivanishvili is also working with Sam Amsterdam, the son of Robert Amsterdam, the Canadian lawyer made famous by his defense of imprisoned Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky. There’s no disclosure filing for that relationship because Sam Amsterdam is not a U.S. citizen and is not lobbying U.S. officials. Ivanishvili has made statements criticizing Khordorkovsky in the past. Robert Amsterdam is not working with Ivanishvili or his son on the project. Ivanishvili’s critics paint him as a Russia-funded oligarch whose agenda is anti-Western and therefore anti-American. They point to his seemingly soft stance on Russia, such as when he said of once and future President Vladimir Putin, “the Russian people like this man,” and that Russia “is not the worst example of an undemocratic state.” He has also blamed Saakashvili for the outbreak of war with Russia in 2008. Ivanishvili’s ties to Russia are not only political, but economic. He made his fortune in Russia in the 1990s, and still maintains at least a 1 percent stake in Gazprom, the semi-state controlled energy behemoth. (The Russian Federation and Gazprom are represented in Washington by Ketchum).”
Cove Strategies-The Koch-funded Schlapps-Mercedes in the White House-Team Trump–NRA Board
Matt Schlapp, Wichita, KS,Fox News contributor. Matt and wife Mercedes founded Cove Strategies in 2009 with KOCH as its first client. Mercedes Schlapp has been an NRA board member and strategic consultant.(2015: $60k, 2016: $45k @ ) 1 hr./wk.) Matt Schlapp was Deputy Assistant to Pres. George W. Bush, 1st term while Mercedes was Director of Strategic Communications/Specialty Media. Joined Koch Companies as VP of Federal Affairs, National Association of Manufacturers Board, U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Archive. ‘In September 2018, Schlapp tweeted a photo of three Democratic Senators, all of whom were people of color, and wrote, “Look at this photo conservative voters in WV, ND, IN, FL, MO, MT, MI, TN, AZ, NV.” Critics, including conservative Bill Kristol and Tom Nichols, accused Schlapp of racial dog-whistling, which Schlapp denied.“Wikipedia
Meet the Schlapps, Washington’s Trump-Era ‘It Couple’Matt and Mercedes Schlapp at home in Alexandria, Va. To some Republicans, the Schlapps are a conservative “it couple.” To others, they’re opportunists. NYTimes by Elizabeth Williamson April 30, 2018. “Mr. Trump appeared at CPAC as president in 2017 and in February was again the star of the three-day conference, attended by about 10,000 people and underwritten by a multitude of sponsors and exhibitors, some of them former Cove Strategies clients. While Mr. Schlapp said not all participants are pro-Trump, prominent “Never Trump” conservatives like John Kasich, George Will and Bill Kristol were not invited to speak. But as Mr. Trump closed in on the presidency, the Schlapps drew closer to Mr. Trump, who despite his no-show at CPAC had contributed tens of thousands of dollars to the group in earlier years. By the end of the campaign, the Schlapps were making some 30 press appearances a week for Mr. Trump. There was one setback: Ms. Schlapp seeing her husband defend Mr. Trump on Fox News after an “Access Hollywood” tape surfaced of the candidate boasting of grabbing women’s genitals. Mr. Schlapp did condemn Mr. Trump for “inexcusable talk” and evoked his wife, “who has been in situations where it was hard for her to be an attractive woman in the workplace.” “
h/t @ninaandtito Lobbying Arrangements Results for ‘Cove Strategies’ @ninaandtito Pro Public. No FARA records h/t
Definers Public Affairs-3D Global Affairs- “America Rising”: AR2 Inc., America Rising LLC, America Rising PAC
website 2012 founded by Mitt Romney Paul Ryan Campaign Manager Matt Rhoades and RNC Research Director “combining political intelligence, legal advisors, campaign-style tactics, lobbying, governmental affairs, research, and communications into one unique offering” Dentons Law Firm merged in 2017 Definers Public Affairs to create 3D Global Affairs The Hill December 5, 2017Core Services: Legal Services, Government Relations And Lobbying Support, Communications And Rapid Response, Campaign-Style Opposition Research, War Room Style Media Monitoring, Disrupt The Political, Regulatory, And Communications Environment Over The Long-Term”
“Here is the contract that the Environmental Protection Agency signed with the Virginia-based Definers Pubic Affairs and its related Definers Corp. in early December, to provide media monitoring services to the agency headquarters, a contract awarded on a no-bid basis. The company also noted that it is “self-certified disadvantaged business” even though it is controlled by two well-known Republican operatives, Matt Rhoades and Joe Pounder. Mr. Pounder said he believed the designation was a clerical flaw and that his company did not register itself as disadvantaged or receive any benefit from the designation. The E.P.A. says this contract is only related to monitoring news coverage of the agency, not to attempt to gather information on employees who are critical of the agency.” h/t @arlebear“Their job is to shut down criticism of their clients, as they did for Pruitt at the EPA.”
“Guess what else AmericaRising/TheDefiners have done for Pruitt & his cause. They ran this http://CONFIRMPRUITT.COM website (now down) to push Senate to confirm him. Then they started to investigated his critics at EPA. Now EPA has hired them with tax $$$s.” @EricLiptonNYT
E.P.A. Employees Spoke Out. Then Came Scrutiny of Their Email. NYTimes By Eric Lipton and Lisa Friedman December 17, 2017
“These entities apparently all related: AR2 Inc., America Rising LLC, America Rising PAC. etc” @mrspanstreppon
Fidelis Government Relations
“Bill Smith, Vice President-elect Mike Pence‘s former chief of staff in Congress and the governor’s office, recently started lobbying at the federal level through his friend Terry Allen‘s firm, Fidelis Government Relations. David Schwartz, a New York lawyer whose Gotham Government Relations & Communications has worked with Trump in the past, also announced plans to open a Washington office.” Politico
December 10, 2018 “Keene’s history as a foreign agent
Amidst all of the buzz surrounding his ties to alleged Russian agent Maria Butina, NRA board member and former NRA president David Keene took a different approach, registering as a foreign agent representing the interests of the government of Algeria. Unlike Butina and Erickson, who are alleged to be Russian agents under Section 951, Keene has now registered as a foreign agent under FARA. This is hardly the first time Keene has had a hand in foreign influence operations.
Keene kicked off his first registered foreign lobbying and influence shop, Keene, Shirley & Associates, in 1987 by inking a $60,000-per-year contract with the National Farmers’ Federation of Australia before signing on to represent Nicaraguan interests the following year. The firm’s board of directorsincluded Keene’s wife, Diana, and another political consultant named Craigan Shirley. Perhaps most well-known is Keene’s lobbying for Nigeria and Algeria — which was disclosed under the Lobbying Disclosure Act. Keene went on to lobby for a broad array of interests, including the World Wrestling Federation.
Now David Keene has again registered as a foreign agent, according to FARA filings made available through CRP’s Foreign Lobby Watch tool.Outlining the terms of their $360,000 lobbying agreement, Algeria’s government issued a cheeky press release titled “Algeria is Keen on NRA Alum Keene.” One chapter of Keene’s lobbying history has made even fewer headlines: The time he, Paul Erickson and Jack Abramoff were lobbying for a widely recognized dictator’s entry into the United States.
Erickson and Abramoff had been longtime friends whose professional lives often intertwined. After college Republicans, Erickson and Abramoff went on to do more than just develop the anti-Communist Dolph Lundgren flick Red Scorpion together. In 1995, Erickson obtained a $30,000 contract for a six-week stint lobbying for entrance into the United States on behalf of Mobutu Sese Seko, the president of the Republic of Congo during the Rwandan genocide who was widely referenced as a military dictator. Mobutu had been banned from the entering the United States after he developed political ties while working as a journalist then formed an authoritarian regime. He was notorious for corruption, nepotism, and embezzlement between $4 and $15 billion during his reign as well as widespread human rights violations.
As Abramoff noted in the FARA disclosures, he was “under no illusion we are dealing with Thomas Jefferson.” The official foreign principal who hired Erickson’s firm was Andre Soussan, a “Danish citizen residing in Paris who is a close political advisor to President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire,” according to the FARA disclosures obtained by CRP. Soussan reportedly “acted as an intermediary for President Mobutu’s quest for a U.S. visa,” which entailed rallying together members of Congress to write letters of support and “employment of Mr. Keene to assist in Andrew Soussan’s visa quest.” But the FARA disclosures discovered through Foreign Lobby Watch’s full-text search feature show Soussan played little role in the operation.
In the FARA disclosure, Abramoff argued that negotiations in the United States, “where Mobutu has few or no friends — would be less susceptible to manipulation.” U.S. officials did not agree, reportedly pushing back that Mobutu merely wanted to sanitize his image by appearing to support democratic reforms so he could stage controlled elections and further consolidate his power. The State Department ultimately rejected Mobutu’s entrance into the United States. He stayed in power until he was expelled in 1997. Abramoff has again been implicated in Erickson’s schemes related to Butina, though the full extent and scope of Abramoff’s role is unclear.
Anti-fraud investigators at Wells Fargo bank, acting on a tip from federal investigators, flagged potentially suspicious bank transfers from an account held jointly by Butina and Erickson to what appeared to be a shell company tied to Abramoff’s family. Erickson sent wire transfers for $15,000 to a California company incorporated in March 2017 out of the home of Abramoff’s son who is listed as its CEO and sole director while Abramoff’s brother is the registered agent.”
Russian Federation and Gazprom How Western PR Firms Quietly Push Putin’s Agenda Another front in Russia’s effort to shape the hearts and minds of Americans has received little attention in mainstream U.S. media since the election. Fast Company July 1 , 2017 BY SUE CURRY JANSEN ”
Industry publication PRWeek reports that Russia has spent $115 million on Western PR firms since 2000, with most going to the U.S. firm Ketchum, a division of Omnicom. (To put that in context: According to the Center for Public Integrity, the 50 countries with the worst human rights violation records have spent $168 million on American lobbyists and PR specialists since 2010.)
From 2006 to 2014, Ketchum had ongoing contracts with the Russian government and its state-owned energy company Gazprom.
Charged with improving Putin’s and Russia’s image abroad, Ketchum facilitated op-eds by Russian officials in publications around the world, including Putin’s 2013 New York Times article warning the U.S. on Syria.
According to ProPublica, Ketchum also placed what appeared to be independent opinion pieces praising Russia in the Huffington Post, on CNBC’s website (where links to those stories are no longer active), and in other publications without acknowledging their sources. The firm lobbied Time magazine to name Putin “Person of the Year,” which it did in 2007.
That same year, according to Reuters, Ketchum tried to convince the U.S. State Department to soften its assessment of Russia’s human rights abuses. The firm also contacted reporters who cover Russian human rights abuses and urged them to tone down their criticism.
Faced with intense criticism after Russia seized Crimea in 2014, Ketchum formally ended its contract with Russia in March 2015, tersely announcing that it “no longer represents the Russian Federation in the U.S. or Europe with the exception of our office in Moscow.” However, one of its partners, GPlus, continued the relationship under similar terms.”